Thursday, September 1, 2011

Muli bwanji, Malawi?

I’m here, finally! Not the most perfect welcome.. sat between two missionaries from West Virginia on the flight up from Johannesburg. Not quite the cultural experience I was looking for. And the airline left my luggage in South Africa.

But I’m here! Last night I took a walk around Namiwawa the neighborhood or township where I am living. On the clay dirt sidewalks nearly everyone I passed smiled or said hello miss. The children and the young men are the boldest. Shoeless orphans of AIDS – Malawi has the highest infection rates in all of Africa- travel in packs and shout, Mzungu! (trans. Whitey) and laugh. A man on a corner waiting for a minibus amid heaps of discarded sugarcane and maize shucks took up his guitar. Stopped to listen. A flock of girls came running down a side street, and the smallest one waved to me and shouted “Muli bwanji?” “Ndili bwino, kaya inu?”  “Ndili bwino” She was grinning ear to ear as I waved again and we exchanged thumbs up. This is a magical land.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH SO EXCITED FOR YOU I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE DOING THIS!! I MISS YOU SO MUCH SKYPE ASAP!

    ReplyDelete